In 2004, Grace Lin and her husband Robert Mercer were inspired to begin Robert's Snow for Cancer's Cure to benefit the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
Beautiful, one-of-a-kind snowflakes were created by children's book illustrators and auctioned to raise money for cancer research.
Sadly, in August 2007, Grace lost her Robert to cancer. In honor of Grace and Robert, the kidlitosphere will be featuring the artwork of some of the illustrators who contributed their talent and time to this year's auction. Three separate auctions will showcase these exquisite original works of art. The first auction begins on November 19.
You can see these treasures here.
Grace Lin describes her snowflake on her blog a solitary grace.
This is the schedule for this week's features. Thank you to Tricia and Jen Robinson for building the links for us to use.
Monday, October 15
- Randy Cecil at ChatRabbit
- Michelle Chang at The Longstockings
- Kevin Hawkes at Cynthia Lord's Journal
- Barbara Lehman at The Excelsior File
- Grace Lin at In the Pages
Tuesday, October 16
- Selina Alko at Brooklyn Arden
- Scott Bakal at Wild Rose Reader
- Alexandra Boiger at Paradise Found
- Paige Keiser at Your Neighborhood Librarian
- Janet Stevens at The Miss Rumphius Effect
Wednesday, October 17
- Rick Chrustowski at laurasalas
- Diane DeGroat at Jama Rattigan's Alphabet Soup
- Ilene Richard at Something Different Every Day
- Brie Spangler at Lectitans
- Don Tate at The Silver Lining
Thursday, October 18
- Brooke Dyer at Bookshelves of Doom
- D.B. Johnson at Lessons from the Tortoise
- Erin Eitter Kono at Sam Riddleburger
- Sherry Rogers at A Life in Books
- Jennifer Thermes at Through the Studio Door
Friday, October 19
- Graeme Base at Just One More Book
- Denise Fleming at MotherReader
- Jeff Mack at AmoXcalli
- Jeff Newman at A Year of Reading
- Ruth Sanderson at Book Moot
Saturday, October 20
- Linas Alsenas at A Wrung Sponge
- Theresa Brandon at The Shady Glade
- Karen Katz at Whimsy Books
- Judy Schachner at Kate's Book Blog
- Sally Vitsky at Shelf Elf: read, write, rave
Sunday, October 21
- Matthew Cordell at Just Like the Nut
- Maxwell Eaton III at Books and Other Thoughts
- Roz Fulcher at Goading the Pen
- Susie Jin at sruble's world
- Susan Mitchell at Check It Out
Please take time out to visit all of these blogs, and read about these fabulous illustrators. And, if you're so inclined, think about bidding for a snowflake in the Robert's Snow auction. Each snowflake makes a unique gift (for yourself or for someone else), and supports an important cause.